History of the Kannally Ranch...
The Kannally Ranch House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. (To learn about its restoration, click here.)
The original 160-acre ranch was purchased by Neil and Lee Kannally in 1903. The two brothers were later joined by three other family members (sisters Lucile and Mary, and brother Vincent) and the ranch grew to almost 50,000 acres.
Initially, the Kannallys slept in a small adobe cottage on the original 160 acres, but later a second cottage was built for Mary and Lucile. The present Kannally Ranch House was built in 1929Ð1932 and is of Mediterranean Revival Style with Moorish influences, patterned on Italianate villas of the 1920s.
Following the death of Lucile Kannally in 1976, the ranch was willed to the Defenders of Wildlife, which later deeded the ranch to the Arizona State Parks Board. The newly renamed Oracle State Park: Center for Environmental Education is a 4,000-acre wildlife refuge and environmental learning center for school and adult groups. The park facilities were designed to be compatable with the ranch's natural surroundings and also to provide access for individuals with special needs.
The Friends of Oracle State Park raises funds for the restoration, preservation and operation of this historic Ranch House and its grounds at Oracle State Park.